When it comes to network security, it is easy for small to medium sized businesses to say “not me”, “they are only after the big guys.” The reality is that attacks on all networks have been increasing year after year as hackers have become more sophisticated, and small businesses are being affected every day by relaxed or non-existent security policies.
In 2015 there were more than 177,866,236 personal records exposed via 780 data security breaches. Hacks occurred in every single state in the US, and the breakdown of the breached targets by type of entity is as follows:
- Businesses were the target of 40% of the security breaches (312 breaches).
- Medical and Healthcare entities made up 35.4% of data breach targets (276 breaches).
- Government or military targets made up 8.1% of cybersecurity breaches (63 breaches).
- Educational institutions accounted for 7.4% of data breaches (58 breaches).
With the ever-increasing technological advances, it is likely that since then, these numbers have climbed, posing a significant risk for a potential breach, lost or stolen data, or some type of malicious threat.
There are a number of ways that Tactical IT Group can help to ensure that you are at minimum risk:
- Software Updates - Keeping computers and network equipment updated is one of the most effective steps to preventing a possible network security issue.
- Managed Firewall Services - A common mistake in small to medium business networks is the lack of a business grade firewall solution. Often business owners are unaware of the difference between having a network router and having a network firewall in place.
- Proactive Support - Risks can be prevented through regular maintenance and constant monitoring of your IT infrastructure.
- Antivirus/Anti-spam - Most people know that antivirus and anti-spam software are necessary components of network security, but many people don’t realize why its so important until their computer or network is infected with a virus, malware, spyware, or a host of other potentially dangerous issues.
- Security Awareness Training - Your employees can prevent attack with proper education on how to spot an attack and prevent a breach.
No matter the size of your business, network security is a definite requirement for every business in the digital age. If you are worried or unsure of where to start with an internal security audit, our team can help get you on track.